Prog Level_ERCI

Preparatory Course In English Language for Foreigners

Introduction

This four-module programme is designed to equip students with language skills that are necessary for academic and business purposes. It is suitable for those at elementary level all the way up to those who have an advanced command of the language. It strategically leads students from receptive to creative language production. Students receive fundamental grammar structures, conversational practice, comprehension activities, integrated vocabulary and listening. Students experience useful activities such as essay writing, pair and group work, drills, role-plays, presentations, field trips, discussions and debates in order to help them communicate fluently and accurately in written and spoken English; all appropriate to their respective level of study.

Blog

The ERC Institute English Language blog (http://ercienglish.blogspot.sg/)showcases some of our students’ work and opinions. In addition, it provides details on classroom activities, field trips, tips and resources.

Academic Progression

Diploma

Course Delivery

Students undertaking the Preparatory Course in English Language for Foreigners programme will be expected to complete 4 modules of academic study over 4 semesters. This programme is available on full time basis, and will take 9 months to complete. Full-time students will attend classes 5 days a week on weekdays.

Course Structure
  • PCELF 001 Beginner
  • PCELF 002 Pre-Intermediate
  • PCELF 003 Intermediate
  • PCELF 004 Advanced

Module Descriptions

The level aims to equip students with elementary perspective into using English in an academic environment. The programme is suitable for those who have no knowledge at all, or a very basic knowledge of English. Participants are exposed to fundamental grammar structures and conversational skills. Lectures, practice exercises and role-play will be used to develop their skills and solidify their understanding. Basic reading, writing and speaking skills are incorporated to prepare students for English Level 1.

The level aims to equip students with elementary perspective into using English in an academic or business environment. The programme is suitable for those who have a basic beginner’s knowledge of English but would like to further their studies. Participants are exposed to basic grammar structures and conversational skills. Lecture, practice exercises and role play will be used to develop their skills and solidify their understanding. This is equivalent to IELTS 1 – 3.

This level aims to equip students with advanced reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. This is equivalent to IELTS 4 – 5.

This level aims to enable students to apply critical analytical skills, has effective command of the language in all 4 levels. Students will also be equipped with strategic and general tips about taking the test successfully. This is equivalent to IELTS 5.5 – 6.5 & above.

Course Availability

Intakes for the Preparatory Course in English Language for Foreigners programme commence at an interval of every 2 - 3 months. All applications should be submitted to ERCI no later than 2 months before the commencement.

Assessment Framework

Courses are assessed by a combination of coursework, practical assignments, class tests and examinations. For the Elementary, Basic and Intermediate modules, the students are assessed based on the 40% exam component with the rest of the 60% based on class tests, quizzes, class participation and attendance. For the Advanced module, the students are assessed based on 50% exam component with the rest of the 50% based on project, class participation, homework, tests and attendance.

All applications are subject to the Institute’s assessment of eligibility for entry into the programme.

Graduation Requirements

For entry into the Foundation Certificate in Business Administration, students need to complete the Elementary, Basic and Intermediate modules (equivalent to IELTS 4.0 - 5.0).

For entry into the Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Degree and Master Degree programmes, students need to complete the full PCELF programme (equivalent to IELTS 5.5 and above).

Exemptions

Students are given exemptions according to their individual English Language proficiency. Students are also given an opportunity to sit for ERC Institute’s English Placement Test that allows the Institute to assess their proficiency level and recommend the number of module exemptions the student is eligible to get.

Course Fees

For a full listing of course fees and other charges, please select one of the following:

Fees Payable for International Applicants

Request for more information

By submitting your contact details, you have given your consent for a ERCI representative to contact you regarding your request.
Please wait...